Wednesday 22 June 2016

Is It Possible for a Man and a Woman to be Just Friends?

Yea, that's the question of the day; Is it possible for a man and woman to be just friends? Is it possible for a man and a woman to be just friends without some form of emotions creeping in? Nope...I don't think so. Well, that's just me, but I will speak on why I think it is impossible.



Throw a woman and a man in house, and restrict them from leaving the premises for one month. It is almost guaranteed that they would start to develop strong feelings for each other, even if they never found each other attractive the first time they saw each other. This is the same reason why there is a lot of sleeping around among coworkers; being in close proximity with someone day in day out over a long period of time makes people develop feelings for each other.










I remember one time last year, I was in a bus heading home and there was this man and woman sitting beside me. From their conversation, I got to realize that they were friends that worked in the same establishment and went home together, daily. The man was married, the lady on the other hand was single. Although they tried to keep their conversation very light, it was obvious to the discerning eyes that they had developed strong feelings for each other. Just before they dropped, the lady complained that she had been having problems removing her necklace and asked the man to help her. As the man fondled with the neckpiece, I wonder if the man knew what he was getting himself into.


I just don't think a man and a woman can be friends. I see that as someone having a pet chicken; he/she is going to eat that chicken one day. Don't get me wrong; I am not talking of very casual friends that see each other at the bar or on the streets every now and then. I am talking about a man and woman that see each other and hangout quite often.



As Harry said in the classic Meg Ryan movie from the 80s (When Harry Met Sally) 'men and women can't be just friends because the sex part always gets in the way.' This doesn't mean that all men and women that are or were friends usually end up having sex, but both parties would be lying if they said they never thought about it...and this is the major problem. The guy starts thinking maybe he should make a move, sometimes confusing the way the girl acts comfortable around him for flirting. And the girl might not want that at all. Most times, girls like to have a boyfriend they have all the emotional ups and downs with, and then that male friend they can just be on a platonic level with, and discuss some of their problems and deep secrets with. I guess it gives them a balance.



With all these said, I am not an sociologist, I am just speaking on my personal experience, those of my close friends, and those of strangers I have watched from afar. So, you don't have to agree with anything I said in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...